Motorola Solutions Introduces First Radio Built to Help Families During Emergencies
New TALKABOUT T480 designed specifically for household emergency readiness
New TALKABOUT T480 radio offers emergency preparedness features such as a special alert button, safety whistle, weather alerts, flashlight and always-charged capability in a single device
Weatherproof T480 radios offer easily accessible, always charged two-way communications for severe weather conditions, power outages, other emergencies
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – Sept. 10, 2015 – As the U.S. recognizes September as National Preparedness Month, Motorola Solutions has introduced the TALKABOUT T480 radio, its first two-way radio specifically designed to help families during emergencies.
When disaster strikes and cellphone towers are down or networks are overloaded and unavailable, the T480 gives families a way to call for help and stay easily connected to neighbors and others in the community. The radios are equipped with innovative emergency functionality and features including:
- Access to FM and seven National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and Environment Canada (EC) weather channels, as well as four very-high-frequency (VHF) channels that receive continuous broadcasts from local and regional weather stations
- A light-emitting-diode (LED) flashlight that automatically turns on during power outages so users can easily spot the always-charging radio
- An emergency button that transmits an audible siren as an alert to call for help
- A safety whistle belt clip that can be used to signal for assistance and for added security
- A “quiet charge” feature, which means users can opt to charge and still receive weather alerts while not enabling audible two-way radio chatter
- A wall/desk stand, so it can be placed in an easily accessible location and continuously charging so it has a full battery when needed (it also operates using three standard AA batteries)
- An International Protection rating of 54 (IP54), a weatherproof standard that certifies the units are designed to withstand rain, snow and other weather hazards.
The T480 can be an important addition to a family’s emergency preparedness kit in the event severe weather situations or emergencies such as floods, tornadoes, wildfires or emergency evacuations should occur. While standard desktop weather radios are helpful at home to monitor National Weather Service broadcasts, they do not feature Family Radio Service and General Mobile Radio Service which are land-mobile radio services available on the T480 designed for short distance, two-way communications between families or designated groups of people in the aftermath of a storm.
Pricing and Availability
The Motorola Solutions TALKABOUT T480 is available now. It has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $69.99. Packaging includes one white and red radio, one wall/desk stand, one micro-USB wall charging cable, one belt clip with whistle and one nickel-metal-hydride (NiMH) rechargeable battery pack. Three AA alkaline batteries can also be used and are sold separately.
For a full list of features, videos and additional information on the entire 2015 Motorola TALKABOUT series of radios, please visit http://www.motorolasolutions.com/talkabout.