Motorola Solutions collaborates with Samart
Motorola Solutions collaborates with Samart to help CAT Telecom roll out Thailand’s first-of-its-kind-commercial digital trunk radio network for the government and enterprises
Bangkok, Thailand, May 10, 2013 – Motorola Solutions today announced that it is upgrading the existing analog radio network of CAT Telecom Public Company Ltd. to a TETRA (Terrestrial Trunked Radio) digital network and optimise its spectrum usage. The company is working with its local partner Samart Telcoms Public Co.Ltd., to execute this project. The upgraded TETRA multi-site network would be the first of its kind commercial network in Thailand based on an operator model whereby enterprise and government users will be able to subscribe to this digital trunk radio network from CAT Telecom without having to invest in their own digital radio communication infrastructure.
The upgrade to digital from the existing analog technology will be carried out in phases, starting with the introduction of few thousands of TETRA subscriber radios and base stations and a switching center to build a digital network covering Bangkok Metropolitan Area and the Eastern Sea Board industrial hub. The target user of this network would include oil & gas sector, transportation operators and other critical government and enterprise users for whom robust mission-critical grade communication is a must.
- Smartnet is the analog network owned and operated by CAT Telecom Public Company. Motorola Solutions is upgrading it with its TETRA (Terrestrial Trunked Radio) solutions to digital standard.
- CAT Telecom was the first to operate an analog subscriber radio network in Thailand for the use of multiple government agencies and enterprises, and the network was a Motorola analog network. The new upgrade to next-generation digital is yet another first for them in Thailand.
- The digital network draws on Motorola Solutions’ longstanding heritage in mission-critical communication technology. It employs industry-standard Time-Division Multiple-Access (TDMA) technology to deliver audio clarity, extended range, integrated data applications, high level of security, and data applications such as text messaging, location tracking and dispatch capability in a cost-effective way for enterprises across vast geographic coverage. It also helps increase productivity and safety for mobile work teams, especially for those in the transport and logistics, oil & gas and local government organisations.
- The investment in TETRA today will ensure CAT Telecom will be able to support future data services and needs, through TEDS (TETRA Enhanced Data Service), which can provide up to 20 times faster access to back-office applications, such as business intelligence and databases to its users.
- Motorola Solutions has shipped over 2 million TETRA subscribers, an industry milestone and a strong indication of the accelerating growth of the worldwide TETRA user base and the continued market recognition of Motorola’s pioneering position in the development of innovative TETRA solutions. Motorola Solutions is also the global leader in standards based mission-critical communication networks trusted by public safety agencies and strategic enterprises globally.
Supranee Kueakoonggern, Country Manager, Thailand, Motorola Solutions
“This is a significant contract for Motorola Solutions and demonstrates our market commitment and leadership in next generation digital trunk communication in Thailand. With the upgraded TETRA network, enterprise and government users will be able to cost-effectively expand workforce communications, coverage range and use software applications, even while enhancing voice quality, security and data communication. In fact, digital is now a prerequisite for many of our customers, and our innovations with TETRA platform gives them what they need today with room to grow tomorrow.”
“The tried-and-tested robust TETRA platform is delivering tangible returns on investment globally, aiding the transition to faster, more efficient digital networks that allow customers to do more, enhance productivity and safety on the job. Our solutions are in use in more than 120 countries worldwide, and attest to the success of this advanced technology. We believe the network will appeal to every user who is in need of resilient, time-critical means of communication over large geographic areas.”