Maximum connectivity and team efficiency for Christo's Floating Piers project
Motorola Solutions MOTOTRBO™ two-way radio infrastructure and radios connect the artist’s team with transport, public safety and emergency services teams
- 400 digital two-way radios from Motorola Solutions provide high quality audio, clear digital voice communications and background noise cancellation.
- MOTOTRBO integrated voice and data base-station/repeater solutions deliver increased capacity, enhanced data applications and advanced communications.
- MOTOTRBO two-way radio infrastructure enables clear voice transmissions along installation and access roads, including in underground sections.
ROME, Italy – September 22, 2016 – Motorola Solutions provided the teams at Christo’s Floating Piers art project with a reliable and comprehensive communications system based on its powerful MOTOTRBO two-way radio infrastructure and radios.
The art project took place at Lake Iseo in Northern Italy, between Milan and Venice. From June 18 to July 3 2016, the landscape was reimagined and reinterpreted by Christo, the artist known for his wrapped monuments, with his Floating Piers installation. More than 1.2 million guests visited the installation. The project was highly complex and involved many contributors to provide a number of services including transportation, security, emergency services, municipal police and local fire departments. In order to coordinate all the parties involved, there was the need for reliable and smart communications.
“The Floating Piers consisted of three kilometre-long walking platforms for pedestrians, composed of 220,000 cubes floating on water draped in 100,000 square metres of bright yellow fabric. It was built on the lake and freely accessible to visitors,” explained Fabio Cadonici, sales director, Saitel Telecomunicazioni. “It was a great challenge to guarantee the safety of this project, which we were able to achieve thanks to the enhanced voice and data communications of Motorola Solutions MOTOTRBO platform.”
“Motorola Solutions understands the requirements of teams who need to realize large-scale projects like the Floating Piers project by Christo and who must be able to count on their communications system,” said Luciano Valentini, country manager Motorola Solutions Italy. “To guarantee seamless and reliable collaboration at all times, we installed four communications systems and supplied around 400 Motorola radios.”
Motorola Solutions provided an end-to-end MOTOTRBO communications platform for the project consisting of the following elements:
- For efficient collaboration of the transportation teams, a Motorola Solutions SLR 5500 repeater has been delivered as well as 30 portable two-way radio terminals for communication in shuttle buses and among the operating staff.
- Communication between security staff on the Floating Piers walkway was guaranteed thanks to a DR 3000 repeater and 120 DP1400 portable two-way radio terminals.
- For security in the other affected areas, roads and paths, an MTR3000 integrated voice and data base-station/repeater and 200 Motorola DP1400 portable two-way radio terminals were supplied.
- Additionally, 20 Motorola DP1400 radios and 20 compact DP3441 two-way digital radios facilitated the management of Christo’s team communications.